Sunday, January 11, 2009

Upma

Ingredients:

  • Rava (Sooji) 1 cup
  • Onion 1 med chopped
  • Green chilly 4 to 5
  • Black gram 2 Tsp
  • Coconut 2 Tbsp
  • Ginger 1 Tsp
  • Curry leaves
  • Water 1 cup
  • Mustard
  • Salt
  • Oil
Sieve and fry the rava well without over frying it. Keep it aside. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When it starts spluttering, add black gram, chopped onion, ginger, chilly, salt and curry leaves. Saute well. When it turns golden brown, add water and allow it to boil. Add grated coconut and rava slowly into this and mix well. Reduce the heat. Cover it and cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Stir it well and serve hot.

View blog reactions

9 comments:

  1. My fave quick fix when I don't have anything to eat. Looks yum. Happy new year! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, upma looks perfect. This is one thing i cant get right. My folks vanish if i say i am gonna make upma :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tina ..
    Upma looks perfect.Simple but delicious..
    .Even njanum kure munnu post cheythittund ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    You have made fluffy rava upma,which is really very nice! For me it always comes gooey:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey u got a gr8 place...wonderful blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Asha, thanks and wishing you too a Happy New Year...!!

    Vrinda, danks... :))

    Vibaas, :-))) don't worry... it's only very recently that I got it right... and that too accidently... I have made upma an umpteen number of times... but whatever I did, I never got it perfect... it always used to be sticky-sticky and would form solid chunks when I stirred it.. two months back, one day I jus tried covering the pan and cooking in low flame for a few minutes in the end.. to my surprise I got a perfect non-sticky upma... so now u too r gonna make a perfect upma like others... enjoy the difference..!!

    veena, some get it right the first time itself, fo me it took ages...!!

    RAKS KITCHEN, try it this way and u too will be making perfect upma in no time... btb, let me know if anybody has other tips for making the perfect upma... pass it on...

    Navita, thanks for the compliments...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I followed the recipe and it came out so well! thanks to u :-)

    ReplyDelete